Donald Trump has done many things, and one of them is to scramble the customer segments for political websites and messaging. As the dust settles after the election, I needed to re-assemble my mental model of the customers of political messages.
When I work with a business owner, a critical component is a map of their customers. Most owners work through the exercise and emerge with a different view of their business.
It is a simple grouping of the groups of customers you want to attract with distinct differences. It serves as a guide to what you offer , how you offer it and to what emotional need they have.
I am going to throw out for your review and comment my rough breakdown of the market for political ideas, messages and news post 2016 election.
Political Customer Segments
- Hard Core Progressives-
- Committed to the cause, enmeshed in the writings
- Democrat true blues
- Loyal to party, part of the apparatus
- Social millennials- the Bernie folks
- – have all the proper causes , looking for a lifestyle match in politics
- Democrat minorities-
- looking for news, passive on engagement unless local issue, Reacts t concrete actions, bad or good. Shootings or factory openings mean more than theory and promises.
- Democrats with jobs- Public servants, loyal union members, wealthy & upper middle class liberals
- comfortable, good pensions, vote their own welfare
- Uncertain Hillary Voters- comfortable,
- Worried about Trump, did not like Hillary. feeling very at sea. Looking for a place to provide guidance to what will happen. Not unreceptive to good news on the economy , jobs. Wants harmony and grievance engine to stop.
- Uncertain Trump voters-
- Comfortable , worried about Trump, did not like Hillary more. Want to be reassured it will be okay. Want to follow the news to stay in touch
- Trump voters-
- Want Trump to succeed- and will take insults badly. Not loyal to GOP unless GOP delivers Trump’s agenda.
- Trump minority voters-
- Hoping they will not be betrayed , Anxious to see progress. Does not want negative portrayal.
- GOP Minority Voter-non Trump
- Fold into Trump minority
- GOP true reds –
- pragmatist- party is primary, winning next election is key
- Conservative purists –
- #Nevers and #Nevers in attitude but willing to advise Trump
- Off the grid- extremists, crazies and internet warriors.
Assuming you buy into the model, what groups do you propose that we should target with messaging, memes and stories to add to the coalition two and four years from now?
I recommend concerted effort on Groups 4,6,7 and 9.
Over to you folks.